A place users can post their projects. If you have a small project and would like your own dedicated place to post and have others chat about it then this is your spot.

By trackerj
samehhady wrote:
trackerj wrote:Very nice enclosure BUT:

- what is your maximum power that you expect to Switch on MAINS? No heatsink at all?
- any special reason for MOC3020? you expect also to do dimming with that module in that configuration?
- no FUSE, MOV, any protection at all for a device that will be connected on MAINS inside the wall?
- no snubber circuit ?
- no EMI filtering and all ?
- doesn't look as having proper creepage and clearance distance. Looking thru UL 60950-1 2nd Edition and IPC9592B can give you a good idea about. Actually in your case, as is PCB now, you need also to look at IPC2221A (external layers for uncoated bare board)

- For the wall light switch I am expecting to control bunch of 30w bulbs thats why I didn't need heatsink.
- I had a choice between using triac & relays, I preferred using triacs at-least for now to avoid the ticking sound & to explore if I will be able to dim the lights too or not.
- I will be adding a fuse on my next version for protecting the board, i missed that one.
- I will look into clearance distance needed honestly I am not that into designing PCBs I am more into programming :)
Also not sure about EMI filtering & snubbers. can you explain more how would they affect the project?

Thank you for your comments, really appreciate it.

- "a bunch" means how much in total for each MAINS Line? Looks like you have 2 MAINS switched lines there in that tiny small place?

If you have no prior experience and/or knowledge about MAINS power, I will suggest you before doing anything to read and ask around. A lot.
MAINS power is Deadly! The right recipe for a disaster.

Have a look also on my article about Triac dimming theory: http://www.esp8266-projects.com/2015/05/p3-wifi-mains-power-dimmer-switch-with.html and the following: http://www.esp8266-projects.com/2015/05/mpdmv3-wifi-mains-power-dimmer-switch.html

Will be more than happy to help you understanding the basic principles but I will not encouraging you to play with.
By godzilla
#20691 The case really looks premium sans screws. Does the size fit in regular electrical boxes? I am working on a similar project, a dimmable LED bulb. I am using nodeMCU but plan to shift to firmware based on espressif SDK. Would you please let me know how you solved the communication security issues and control over internet (not wifi/LAN). Thanks.