A place users can post their projects. If you have a small project and would like your own dedicated place to post and have others chat about it then this is your spot.

By rudy
#69016 If you are not familiar with Linux then the overhead of the Raspberry Pi solution is significant. I am running a Raspberry Pi as a MQTT broker. It would have been more efficient to have had a ESP solution when I did it.

But since I do have the R-Pi it wasn't a lot more to use it as a web server. Yes I have done the ESP8266 webserver with SD and SPIFFS, and they are useful for certain things.
By martin_g
#69017 You can easily buy an ESP8266 complete with case, power supply, and even a relay onboard in quantities for less that 6$ - the Sonoff switch... With the lastest additions to the esp_uMQTT_broker, the rule engine, you can even directly use this relay in an application.

So the use case for the esp_uMQTT_broker software is not to replace an existing Pi. If you already have one as central node installed - fine! But now you can also start with a small IoT application, e.g. consisting just of a sensor and a switched actuator for less than 15$ overall and it is already based on WiFi and the open MQTT standard.