A place users can post their projects. If you have a small project and would like your own dedicated place to post and have others chat about it then this is your spot.

By Cicero
kissste wrote:Thank you for the module and help with the compilation. I have managed to compile and flash(and make htmlflash) the esp8266.

Changed IPs in config.h for my network.

Hooked HW up and powered up.

LEDs are flashing, but nothing is coming up when I try to connect via browser.

How to debug? I have tried serial port output, can't get anything.

Thank you very much

Hi Kissste,

Are you using the latest version in github (for SDK v1.5.0)?
    If you're not getting ANY debug output then there is something wrong with the compile/load. There should be debug output from the uart0 pins @ 115200. Debug comms is enabled in globals.h, and for each of the files if wanted. I've left DHCP_DEBUG and MAIN_DEBUG enabled as default, so you should get a bit of startup debug there if its compiled properly and loaded correctly.
    As default, for the wired connection, it uses DHCP from the router to get an IP. So once you get the debug output working, then look at what IP it is assigned. Navigate to that and it will serve your webpage.

Just want to ask as well: Do you still have all the usual pullups and whatnot that are required for the ESP to work - I left them off my diagram as they're always needed anyway? (EDIT: I've updated my diagram on github to show the default esp connections needed)
As in:
    CH_PD pulled high
    RST pulled high through pullup (eg 10k)
    GPIO0 pulled high through pullup (eg 10k)

If you load a different project onto your esp (with the enc28j60 attached), what happens? Do you get debug comms out for that? If not then its a hardware setup issue.
By cableguy
#52484 Hi,

I've just came across your GitHub when searching for a way to connect an Ethernet shield to my esp8266-12 board...
I found your posting very interesting, and I have a few questions...

My case scenario is:
I'm a fiber-optics tech, and to configure the ONT's in my clients house, I need to connect it through Ethernet (no other means) to my 100$ netbook for just about 2 minutes...
So the Idea came to mind, to bridge the Ethernet through WIFI using ESP and Ethernet shield...
I want to be able to connect though wifi to the esp, which in turn is connected to the ONT, and using my smartphone's browser, access the default config page of the ONT (192.168.4.254).
Since the ONT is NON-DHCP, but still in the same sub-net that the ESP, will it work?
Code wise, is it just a matter of taking the raw TX/RX data from the wifi connection and pass it to the Ethernet, and back?

Thanks in advance
By JZesp
#52488 Hi @Cicero, I believe that your code will get me to my goal the quickest so hoping you'll have some time to answer my few questions.

[*] I am using a NodeMCU 1.0 board so the ESP8266-12E --- https://alexbloggt.com/wp-content/uploa ... ut_700.png
[*] I also have a mini version of ENC28J60 --- http://www.dnatechindia.com/image/cache ... 00x500.jpg
[*] While I can likely wire it up per your ESP8266 (not 12E) diagram on GitHub, my question is whether the resistors are still needed considering that ESP8266 is on the NodeMCU board which I'd hope rectified the resistance aspect.
[*] I've been using Arduino IDE with the NodeMCU (using ESP8266WiFi library) along with an Arduino Nano using the ENC28J60 shield (using UIPEthernet library) --- both are working great. However, I'm in need of putting the relay into my gate with Ethernet over Powerline adapter due to lack of wifi in the gate box and the great reliability of Ethernet. So your code/library for my ESP8266-12E (since it has LOTS of memory unlike the Arduino Nano) and mini ENC28J60 that I have would be a perfect solution. So this question: your code does not look to be INO/Arduino code or library. Is there a beginner guide of how to get plain C code (which I'm guessing you're using) onto the NodeMCU board?

FYI, here are the few projects for home automation using SmartThings where I use the NodeMCU and the first project is where I'd like to use the RJ45.
https://community.smartthings.com/t/ras ... gger/43335
https://community.smartthings.com/t/esp ... mote/50161

Thank you for your time!!!
JZ
By Cicero
cableguy wrote:Hi,

I've just came across your GitHub when searching for a way to connect an Ethernet shield to my esp8266-12 board...
I found your posting very interesting, and I have a few questions...

My case scenario is:
I'm a fiber-optics tech, and to configure the ONT's in my clients house, I need to connect it through Ethernet (no other means) to my 100$ netbook for just about 2 minutes...
So the Idea came to mind, to bridge the Ethernet through WIFI using ESP and Ethernet shield...
I want to be able to connect though wifi to the esp, which in turn is connected to the ONT, and using my smartphone's browser, access the default config page of the ONT (192.168.4.254).
Since the ONT is NON-DHCP, but still in the same sub-net that the ESP, will it work?
Code wise, is it just a matter of taking the raw TX/RX data from the wifi connection and pass it to the Ethernet, and back?

Thanks in advance

Hi cableguy,

My project in github at the moment is just a local wired webserver, and more importantly/specifically, Sprites httpd webserver implementation. So its all local to the esp currently, not accessing any other server or anything - yet.

From what you've said, your ONT has its own mini config webserver on it at a static 192.168.4.254, and you want to access that by connecting to the ESP which is in turn connected to the ONT through the ENC.

The ENC28J60 runs on its own separate stack, so whilst a bridge connection is possible, but it will take a lot of fiddling on your part to get it working.
You will have to:
    Specifically make an external connection to your ONT through the ENC stack - stack.c (I haven't released this implementation to github, but when I have more time I will add what I've done).
    You will basically have to fully strip out the libesphttpd (because that accesses the html files stored on the ESP itself in flash), and then any connection to the ESP (through the espconn_regist_connectcb()), you'll you'll have to forward on to the ENC stack.
    And visa versa of course

Being on the same subnet is irrelevant to this actually, because the ESP isn't a router, you'd have to do that routing yourself.

In the end, its not trivial, and although this project does have the building blocks it'll take a bit of work.

FUN_POLICE_DISCLAIMER: Unless you're keen to do this for the fun of it (which would be cool), it would probably be easier and relatively cheap to just buy a little off-the-shelf wifi access point.