The use of the ESP8266 in the world of IoT

By Andrew Grande
martinayotte wrote:BTW, the driver is ch341.ko, it is a superset of the family, which also works for CH340.

True, I figured the ch340 is a more common name even if the chip can be either 340 or 341.

Custom RPI kernels is something people expressed interest in for my use cases, so who knows, maybe I'll dive in in the future :)
By MarkR
#47837 It actually should not be necessary to do any of this, you don't need USB to program the ESP8266, it should be possible to hook the Pi's UART tx/rx directly to the opposite on the esp. They both operate at 3v3, so it should not require level converters or anything.

The Pi's 3v3 power may also supply enough current to drive a esp, I've not tried that though.

Mark
By Andrew Grande
#47905 Thanks for chiming in, Mark. There's one issue with hooking up to TX/RX lines directly - I already am using RPI's UART for serial console! :)

Yes, I don't want to haul Pis around to a monitor and keyboard (the only HDMI monitor in the house is in the basement, hey..). Hooking up a buspirate to RPI and seeing the boot messages even before the network comes online and sshd starts is pretty cool.
By ealltech
#63176 That is strange that you had to use this driver, since it is already part of the core kernel, at least the one I'm using which is raspberrypi 4.1.13+.
It is also been part of the core kernel on my other board flavors, such as Graperain, OrangePi-PC-H3, PineA64, BeagleBoneBlack.