The use of the ESP8266 in the world of IoT

By Luc Volders
#54261 I was looking at commanding a relay over a webpage for switching some lights on or off. There are many examples ready to make on the internet however in my humble opninion they all lacked something.

Imagine you are at work and want to switch your lights on or off. That is easily being done with the existing examples. However imagine at the same time there is someone at home who does not want the lights switched on or off.

That is why I made such a project with a manual override. In the end the guys at home decide if the lights should be on or off. Not the one in a remote location. However I made the switch so that the guy in the remote location got some feedback on the webpage so he knows if the lights are on or off and at the same time knows if anyone at home is overruling him.

At the same time I develloped a casing and 3D printed it.
Code was written in Lua.

All documentation schematics, breadboard layout and source code as well as STL files for the casing can be found on my weblog in this entry:

http://lucstechblog.blogspot.nl/2016/09/esp-relayserver.html

Have fun

Luc
By jankop
#54265 I have tried your program. Often it does not work properly. One of the problems is the lack an HTTP header of response. The second is incorrect parsing GET /favicon.ico.
These deficiencies are quite substantial, certainly I recommend you fix them.
By Luc Volders
#54302 Has been running for several months here.
Has also been plugged in and unplugged for fysical relocation.
Never run into a problem.

Accessed by both Firefox browser and several Android Phones.

Software is existing software adapted to my own needs.
Been back to the original source and on those pages also no complaints.

Luc