The use of the ESP8266 in the world of IoT

By aravindalak
#25454 Hi guys, :)

I have setup ESP8266 module to read data from DHT11 Temperature and Humidity sensor and broadcast sensor data over WiFi. I need to install a software in my laptop so that it can receive those data over WiFi interface and display data on my laptop. Please name any software that I can use. I'm not looking for online data logger such as thingspeak. What I need is a software that I can install on my laptop which receive data through WiFi interface. I have installed Windows 7 in my laptop. Any help will be highly appreciated.
By kenn
aravindalak wrote:Hi guys, :)

I have setup ESP8266 module to read data from DHT11 Temperature and Humidity sensor and broadcast sensor data over WiFi. I need to install a software in my laptop so that it can receive those data over WiFi interface and display data on my laptop.

HOW are you broadcasting sensor data over wifi?? HTTP server? TCP socket? UDP? custom?
By kenn
aravindalak wrote: I broadcast data by using a HTTP server. I use same server to upload data to thingspeak channel also. I have setup ESP module in StationAP mode so that it creates an access point to broadcast data over WiFi.

Maybe we have a language barrier here, but HTTP servers don't 'broadcast', they respond to requests sent to them. And when you connect to Thingspeak, you're not using a server, you're using a HTTP client that sends requests to the Thingspeak server.

So... i still don't know how you're intending to send data to your PC.

If your ESP8266 is actually running a HTTP server, then you just need to open a web browser anywhere on the same network and send a request to the ESP8266 server. If your ESP8266 is actually running as a HTTP client that periodically sends requests with data, you can install an HTTP server on your PC (eg IIS or apache), then program the PC's url or ip into the ESP8266.