The use of the ESP8266 in the world of IoT

By TheWho
bbx10node wrote:Since everything has been eliminated except the huzzah and wire between RST and 16, there is not much to suggest. I hope something helps.

• Reflow the header solder joints. Perhaps a cold solder joint is causing the problems.
  • Try a different jumper wire. It is rare but jumper wire can be defective. Crimp connection sometimes get loose.
  • If a different jumper wire does not help, solder a wire between pin 16 and RST!

If it still fails, I have no idea what is wrong. Deep sleep "just works" when I try it.

I also powered the huzzah via GND and V+ (5V from PC USB) on the end connector as well via GND and VBAT (4.5 to 6V) on the side when using batteries. Wake up from deep sleep works either way.

I appreciate the effort. Here's my next steps:

Board 1 failed each and every time.
I'm going to run the series of tests again on Board 2 and see if I can eliminate the deep-sleep issue. it's been running about 30 minutes so far and no issues with deep sleep.

I'll also resolder all joints. I have another board so I'm going to send that out to a shop to have them fabricate the solder joints. This will definitively tell me if it's the joints.

I'll keep everyone posted....thanks.
By Venkatesh
#33271 This is known problem. I don't know whether somebody already suggested this, but while ESP coming out of deep sleep in some occasions it freezes. So solve this issue, you need to add pull-up resistors on GPIO2 and 0 (zero). Good Luck!!!
By TheWho
Venkatesh wrote:This is known problem. I don't know whether somebody already suggested this, but while ESP coming out of deep sleep in some occasions it freezes. So solve this issue, you need to add pull-up resistors on GPIO2 and 0 (zero). Good Luck!!!

Yes. I'll try that.

I picked up a board from NODEMCU (BANGGOOD) and it's been working without a hitch. It appears they might have designed around the issue.

I'm new to electronics so how would that look? do i jumper GPIO 2 to GPIO 0? What type of resistor should use? What would that look like on a breadboard?

Your help is greatly appreciated.