The use of the ESP8266 in the world of IoT

By Venkatesh
TheWho wrote:
Venkatesh wrote:This is known problem. I don't know whether somebody already suggested this, but while ESP coming out of deep sleep in some occasions it freezes. So solve this issue, you need to add pull-up resistors on GPIO2 and 0 (zero). Good Luck!!!

Yes. I'll try that.

I picked up a board from NODEMCU (BANGGOOD) and it's been working without a hitch. It appears they might have designed around the issue.

I'm new to electronics so how would that look? do i jumper GPIO 2 to GPIO 0? What type of resistor should use? What would that look like on a breadboard?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

I used 4.7K resistors from VCC to GPIO2 and GPIO0 on my ESP-12E. So you need two resistors running in parallel. Good Luck!!
By KPL
#40694 So, was this ever really solved?
I still have same troubles, with several circuits. Some are ESP01, some - ESP12, some NodeMcu, ordered with big time difference (not same batch) - all seem to have same problem. All of them have pull-ups on GPIO0, GPIO2, CH_PD, RST. RST is connected to GPIO16.
I have tested them with AM2301 and with DS18B20, some were powered from batteries, others from external 5V supplies, or from computer's USB, using several kinds of 3.3V LDO. Used different capacitors.
Some devices work fine for several days, others for several hours, or just several iterations, than hang.
They should wake up every 5 minutes, then measure temperature and/or humidity, and report to my local server, which is always available.
By Mattia Durli
#42952 Hello,
I'm developing with a Feather ESP8266, and having the same problem with deepsleep.
If I run my code in the loop part, with no deepsleep, it never stops.
Same code with deepsleep at the end, works for a while (seconds, minutes, once for an hour), then hangs.
When it hangs the red led is dim. Same happens if using battery or external power.
If I press reset, nothing happens, I have to disconnect all power sources.
I use just the board, a battery, and a wire to connect GPIO16 to RST.
Using board version 2.1.0 on Arduino IDE.
Any solution?

Thanks,
Mattia
By lord_alan
#43728 I am also seeing this problem. I am currently using a Gizwits dev board (ESP-12F) running NodeMCU with LUA, reading a DHT22. Having read another thread earlier I have replaced the wire between GPIO16 and RST with a 120R resistor. This has improved things but not completely fixed it.

I have now added a second 10uF cap to the power rail (in parallel) to see if I can help to eliminate any possible drop in voltage when the ESP comes out of deep sleep...

It seems as though this is not limited to a particular board design or firmware. It might be some incompatibility between the ESP and the DHT22 though.

I have some new ESP-12F chips and simple breakout boards which - once I get a last few bits from eBay - I will solder up and try too.