The use of the ESP8266 in the world of IoT

By TheWho
Barnabybear wrote:Hi, just to clarify.
When you used the batteries did you power the board via the 3.3V (next to LDO & GPIO15) or did you use VBat / V+ ?
Do you still have ‘WAKE_RF_DISABLED’ in your code?
Code: Select allESP.deepSleep(SECONDS_DS(10), WAKE_RF_DISABLED);

Are GPIO 16 and RST connected together using the pins on the breakout board (RST_5V) or the terminals on the ESP unit (RST)? I ask because there is a diode between RST and RST_5V which I would think most designs don’t use.
Do you have any additional capacitors after the voltage regulator? The schematic shows only 10uF on the output side. I normally use 0.1uf for RF and =<100uF to compensate for voltage drops, both as close to the IC as possible.

I've been using the V+ / GND on the end. Not the ones on the sides.
I just attempted using the V+/GND on the same side as the 16/RST. Bright RED light again...

The code does have WAKE_RF_DISABLED included.

I removed the unit from the breakout board and have 16 and RST directly connected to each other using a jumper. There are no other capacitors or anything else connected.
By TheWho
TheWho wrote:
When you used the batteries did you power the board via the 3.3V (next to LDO & GPIO15) or did you use VBat / V+ ?

Are GPIO 16 and RST connected together using the pins on the breakout board (RST_5V) or the terminals on the ESP unit (RST)? I ask because there is a diode between RST and RST_5V which I would think most designs don’t use.
Do you have any additional capacitors after the voltage regulator? The schematic shows only 10uF on the output side. I normally use 0.1uf for RF and =<100uF to compensate for voltage drops, both as close to the IC as possible.

I just attempted using the V+/GND on the same side as the 16/RST. Bright RED light again...

I removed the unit from the breakout board and have 16 and RST directly connected to each other using a jumper. There are no other capacitors or anything else connected.

I am now testing the 3V and GND pins on the other side....stay tuned.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
By TheWho
TheWho wrote:

I removed the unit from the breadboard and have 16 and RST directly connected to each other using a jumper. There are no other capacitors or anything else connected.
By bbx10node
#32299 Since everything has been eliminated except the huzzah and wire between RST and 16, there is not much to suggest. I hope something helps.

• Reflow the header solder joints. Perhaps a cold solder joint is causing the problems.
  • Try a different jumper wire. It is rare but jumper wire can be defective. Crimp connection sometimes get loose.
  • If a different jumper wire does not help, solder a wire between pin 16 and RST!

If it still fails, I have no idea what is wrong. Deep sleep "just works" when I try it.

I also powered the huzzah via GND and V+ (5V from PC USB) on the end connector as well via GND and VBAT (4.5 to 6V) on the side when using batteries. Wake up from deep sleep works either way.