Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By Mario Mikočević
tkdcal wrote:I would like my setup to be a little more portable so I don't have to drag around my breadboard, power supply or whatever. Is there a board out there that already has a FT232 and a 3V supply with reset & programming button and stuff that I can just plug the ESP into? No muss, no fuss...

Thanks

I'm using ESP-01 Dev Board, even got made esp-12 breakout for it https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/ae783sXA

--
Mozz
By sej7278
kolban wrote:Have you looked at the NodeMCU devKit board? This has been my "go-to" for a while.

not much use if you want to program an ESP-01 is it? i think the op wants an easier way to program an ESP-01 than a breadboard with a bunch of cables, regulator, uart, button etc.

if you want to keep size, power and cost down and only want to use a couple of GPIO's the ESP-01 is way better than the nodemcu which is massive in comparison and has way too much stuff onboard for battery use.

personally i just made up something myself on perfboard, then i move the ESP-01 between the circuit i'm working on and the programmer board. didn't even bother with a regulator or buttons, as all it will be doing is flashing which is ok being powered from my 3.3v usb uart, its basically a couple of female headers and 6 wires.

esp01_adapter.jpg

esp01_perfboard.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By kenn
#33741 It took maybe two hours to make a programming/test board with socket for my first ESP-01s. It also has a socket for the serial in/out from the USB-serial adaptor, and a socket for the two free GPIOs so I can easily connect LEDs, temp sensors, etc. It has an onboard 3.3v reg, and I power it with a wall-wart. It has two pushbuttons for reset and program (GPIO0 to ground). It's now about a year old and still working well. Well worth the effort, IMHO.
By Luc Volders
#34613 Build one myself, was actually rather easy.
I incorporated two switches: a reset and a programming switch.
And put headers on it so I can easily attach it to a beadboard.

http://lucstechblog.blogspot.nl/2015/11 ... board.html

It uses an 3.3 volt FTDI though.

Luc