Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By Jeddiah
#47699 Ok, I think I've made some positive progress. Sorry about earlier, I didn't realize that I needed to change boards. I completely removed IDE 1.6.9, all my libraries (copied them somewhere else) and the ArduinoI5 directory in the user profile directory. Then I did a fresh install of IDE, and a fresh install off the ESP8266 package.

Just including the ESP8266wifi file before would crash, and now it compiles with the Generic ESP8266 board selected. I think what I'm missing here is how do I have the ESP8266 grab the data that's coming from the Arduino? That's where I'm really confused with all this.

Also this shield doesn't have a USB port on it, can I write to it through the USB port on the Arduino if I move the dipswitches to off? Sorry for sounding like such a newb, I'm doing great with the Arduino side of things, but this thing is just confusing me.
By Jeddiah
#47716 Not sure if I'm must overlooking something obvious or not. Here's the setup, simple as it is.

This is the configuration:

This is what I get when I try to send it to the board.
Code: Select alltrying to connect
   flush start
   setting serial port timeouts to 1 ms
   setting serial port timeouts to 1000 ms
   flush complete
   espcomm_send_command: sending command header
   espcomm_send_command: sending command payload
   serialport_receive_C0: 00 instead of C0
warning: espcomm_sync failed
error: espcomm_open failed
error: espcomm_upload_mem failed

The dip switches on the ESP8266 are off, per the rather poor instructions from the manufacturer, and I've tried pressing the "key" button for "more than one second" before I try to send it. I did find that you don't want to press that "key" button for too long, it'll reset the board back to defaults.

Am I missing something?
By martinayotte
#47726 I don't know the details since I don't own such board, but the ESP8266 Uart is probably connected in a way to talk to the ATMega328, therefore the USB-TTL Uart can't reach it.

There are either some dip switches or jumpers to reverse so the TX/RX pins becomes swapped in a way to talk to the USB-TTL, then, after successful firmware upload, it need to be bring back to original connection to connect again with ATMega328.
By Jeddiah
#47741 Ok, lets approach this from a different angle. I'm making a device that's going to be remote from my place, but will be connecting to my own Wifi network. I need the Arduino to be able to transmit through it to my Linux Server. Which device would you recommend to work with? I went with this shield because it seemed like it would be simplest and it would sit in the same footprint at the Arduino. But so far, I haven't been able to find any good examples on how to make this shield work, so I'm willing to try something else.