Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By bighairyg
#48029 Here is my thoughts on the subject:

Besides running across a possibly bad module, and having one (ESP-07) that ONLY seems to respond to a 5v input signal, I can honestly say I have had zero problems programming and communicating with the ESP8266 via an Arduino (both an Uno and a Nano) with a 5v-3.3v logic-level converter. If you've got the skills and some spare parts, I just built a breadboard adapter for the ESP-01 to make it easier to connect to my Uno ( I uploaded the video at https://youtu.be/QC8GpOXTeRg ).

Ok, yes. I did buy all of my pieces from China (on Ebay). I am a full-time student living off of only the refund of the excess student loans. So, when I ran across some of the cool things you can do with this equipment, I just had to try it out. I received 3 Nanos (clones), 2 ESP8266-01 modules, a breadboard with power supply, and a 10 pack of logic-level converters for only $20...and I couldn't pass it up.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for supporting American companies and developers -- when I can. I figure, why spend more money on another piece that does exactly what I can already do with my existing units??
By stealthtransam
#48062 I did the same thing in college. I don't have time to do that these days =) I have programmers for just about every MCU I use the ATMEL-ICE, a SAM-ICE, AVR MKII, ST LINK, ETC... So i find having a simple all in one solution saves me time in the long run. And I do love supporting the small companies especially local ones!