Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By Joe Job
#48795 Hi thanks for the reply, ok,

The MOSFET link you provided is maybe a bit oversized/overrated if your relay is small and doesn't consume much current.

Also, the MOSFET need to have low Vgs, below 3V, which is not case in the one you provided.
I would rather use something like AO3402, or 2N7000 if you don't want surface mounted.

The Relay is 5v but it is powering an AC light at 230v, just before I order some 2n700, is it absolutely certain that the P2N2222A will not work for this project (only for time sake) if I can do what I need to do with what I currently have would be great.

The circuit look like, although I would use another MOSFET instead of the 2N3903, with pulldown on its gate

OK so pretty new to reading these things can you confirm I understand and elaborate on the questions I have please:

with pulldown on its gate
do you mean connect the gate to the 3v positive ?

PORT C-2, I am guessing this GPIO2?

- So from GPIO2 (if above is correct) add a 1k resistor

- Add a 2n700 (if you confirm a P2N2222A is not enough) by connecting to the middle pin after the resistor.

- Connect the right pin off to GND (I am powering this by a 9V battery through a regulator) so would that be to 3.3v ground yes or the ground on the 5v side of the board or does it not matter?

- Connect the left pin to a 10K resistor and then what is the 12V after that ?

- Also connect the left pin to a 2n700 (if you confirm a P2N2222A is not enough) connecting it to the right hand pin of the 2nd MOSFET then also that pin to GND, again if so to 3.3V ground ?

- Also connect GND to the middle pin?

- Connect the left hand pin of the 2nd mosfet to the IN pin of the relay ?

Sorry if got mixed up but at this moment that is what I can make out from that diagram, which may be totally wrong lol.