Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By Arsalan Junaid
ShantanuJ wrote:Hey guys.

I burnt a code into the NodeMcu 12e using the arduino ide. It runs perfectly. And also it is getting the power from the USB cable connected between the NodeMcu module and laptop.

Now, I want to power up the NodeMcu module externally. Not using the USB cable. I tried connecting the arduino 5V output supply to the NodeMcu. With the ground also obviously!

But the module just doesn't run the code. I tried resetting once i change the power supply also. But still no positive output.

What could be the problem?

Hi did you manage to find out the solution for this?
Is it because your new power supply is providing less power/amps?

I am facing this problem as well. When I use my FTDI cable it works but when I use another external 3.3V supply it doesnt work. Please let me know if you have solved the problem.

Thanks
Arsalan Junaid
By lotus49
#52475 The ESP8266 is relatively power-hungry and this is almost certainly due to the inability of the Arduino to supply enough current.

It should be easy enough to verify that this is the problem. Simply connect your ESP8266 to its own USB power supply and see whether it works then.