Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By Claude
#1826 I hooked up the ESP to my Spectrum Analyzer this morning.

Sorry for the Cellphone Pics , but I couldn't find a CF Card for the SA :D

Thats the ESP running at Wifi Channel 6 (2437MHz) , connected to my AP (~50cm away)

For comparison here is the same setup but with the ESP unpowered , my AP @ Ch6 is still quite visible.

Quite a lot of spurs from the ESP and the occupied BW is also not that good.

So anyone considering using the ESP in a commercial setup should think, imho, a bit about using an external bandpass filter ... and good luck for the FCC approval ;)
By Sjaak
#1828 it could be your 50 ohm line like squonk said? the thicknes is not 25-26mill all the way to the connector. looks like lots of reflections there :)

My analogue knowledge is very very rusty so please dont take it serious :)
By Claude
Sjaak wrote:it could be your 50 ohm line like squonk said? the thicknes is not 25-26mill all the way to the connector. looks like lots of reflections there :)

Hmm not sure , even when the full RF power is reflected due to a bit of mismatch (approx 86Ohm @10mil vs 50Ohm @26mil , still terminated with a solid 50.0Z in my SA) , I still don't see how the BW could 'explode' like in the first pic.
Further the mismatch is still present when I did the second measurement with the ESP powered off , but the occupied BW of my AP looks good.

I also tried to put an 10dB attentuator on the RF-In of the SA (SA goes only up to +20dBm), same spectrum but 10dB lower. So definitely no distortion effect of the SA input stage here.