Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By piersfinlayson
#56431 Success! A working non OS SDK test app which erases, writes and reads to a sector at each 1MB interval on a 16MB chip is available here:

https://github.com/piersfinlayson/esp-sdk-samples/tree/master/eeprom

Tested with a Wemos D1 mini, with winbond w25q128fvsig chip.

I'm hopeful but can't guarantee the same approach will work in rboot (to allow booting from images in a space beyond 4MB). Will try anon.
By piersfinlayson
#56607 Took me much wailing and gnashing of teeth, but I now have an ESP8266 booting from an image stored in the 16th megabyte in flash. Took me quite some time to realise I needed to set flashchip->ship_size to 16,777,216 before attempting to boot (otherwise the SPIRead functions called from the ROM to actually load the image will fail).
By KevinA
#56818 They ARRIVED! I had purchased https://goo.gl/n22tzQ the ESP8266-07 carrier and they were waiting, the only issue seemed to be the carrier was missing schematics. It has three resistors and a place for a SOT 223 which I took for a voltage regulator like AMS1117-3.3, which I soldered in place. I tried to tack the ESP8266-100 to the carrier with lock-tite blue, that just made a mess, that stuff takes a while to harden. After I had everything soldered I had to hook two breadboards together, the carrier is too wide and leaves no means to plug jumpers in. I wired everything up and was ready to power test when it dawned on me I had better check out the resistors on the board to see what they were doing. There is no schematic, none, nowhere, 'We check with our landlord' response but not expecting much. Of the dozens of vendors selling the carriers listed no one has the schematic. Image
They do now.
I just noticed the boards are different, mine has a silkscreen with R1, R2 and R3 list from left to right with the resistors facing you, at any case the middle resistor is R2.
And the board I have.
The version of firmware from AI

OK
AT+GMR

AT version:0.40.0.0(Aug 8 2015 14:45:58)
SDK version:1.3.0
Ai-Thinker Technology Co.,Ltd.
Build:1.3.0.2 Sep 11 2015 11:48:04
OK
And not to be defeated, I found a new release of the Flash_download_tool that now works on 8266/8285/esp32 and after downloading and installing it:
flash vendor:
EFh : WB
flash devID:
4017h
QUAD;64Mbit
crystal:
26 Mhz
The previous version V3.4.1 would die on 64mbit
The V3.4.2 version seems to work, will find out after I figure out how to install the latest firmware.
Last edited by KevinA on Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:11 am, edited 6 times in total.
By KevinA
#56819 As to my effort to upgrade my collection of ESP8266-201 :o Complete failure. The pads on the 201 carrier are very narrow, the existing chip was at the edges, the new chip even with bending the leads UNDER the body still would not fit. Did you know if you wiggle the leads back and forth they break off? I didn't! :shock: One less 8MB/64Mbit chip in this world.