Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By Stampede
kenn wrote:
Stampede wrote:Image

How does this fare as a rough drawing on how to wire our FTDI to ESP8266 connections?

Your resistors haven't been connected properly as pullups to 3.3v. And your pushbuttons short Vcc to ground.

See me after class. :ugeek:

I though that was the point to short those two to ground in order to put them into program mode? Are you connecting Reset and GPIO0 to VCC with Resistors and Pushbuttons?
By kenn
Stampede wrote:I think I have it now.

Yessss. :D I knew you'd figure it out.

I went looking for a decent online drawing of a good ESP-01 test setup... and I couldn't find one. So I can't fault anyone for being confused, in the absence of an authorative schematic to follow.

So... is it working?
By Stampede
#29644 I was able to get comminication to the ESP via AT commands, so that's a great start.
I hit another roadblock when flashing the chip. Using NodeMCU, I receive the messages:
"AUTO MAP serial port Port--> Com 3"
"Serial port connected"
"Begin find ESP8266"

Then it just hangs. The TX on the FTDI is sending a storm of data, but I will have to investigate why the process isn't completing on the ESP side.

FYI:
I'm using 10k pull up resistors. I'm wondering if it could be my FTDI adapter, as mentioned earlier in this thread. I'm using a sparkfun FT232RL, but it looks like some had success using the Raspberry Pi. I may try that for simplicity sake. As a bonus there appears to be a lot of Linux support for the ESP so it would be an easy switch.
I'm going to try a few more wiring configurations and see if I can get anything to work. The AT commands stopped working after the firmware update attempt.