Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By Squonk
wififofum wrote:
jonsmirl wrote:I believe this is the manufacturer.
http://www.ai-thinker.com/
Maybe someone speaks English there.

The label implies the module has an external PA. That will help a lot with range. But it will make passing FCC much harder.

esp8266 specs wrote:high power PA capable of delivering +25dBm (peak)

If you look at the drawings there are no additional IC footprints.

I agree:

Despite the fact that only the bottom layer pads are shown, the top layer silkscreen and pin number are also displayed. From this you can see that there are only 3 large components and 8 small passive ones onboard: The one labeled "33" is the ESP8266, the 8-pin SOIP is of course the SPI Flash chip, and the 4-pin one is the crystal (with only 1 stray cap, grrr...), so no PA here.

But as the whole shield is a joke, the "PA +25 dBm" text is just another marketing thing :roll:
By Squonk
ps2chiper wrote:Yes, I have experience with CTS labs in Guangzhou. They handle the FCC 15b testing and fcc id for us.

What is the link with the OP?

Wrong topic?
By wififofum
Squonk wrote:Despite the fact that only the bottom layer pads are shown, the top layer silkscreen and pin number are also displayed. From this you can see that there are only 3 large components and 8 small passive ones onboard: The one labeled "33" is the ESP8266, the 8-pin SOIP is of course the SPI Flash chip, and the 4-pin one is the crystal (with only 1 stray cap, grrr...), so no PA here.

In fact the layout is almost identical to ESP-04. Would like to see this with a PCB antenna and/or u.fl and real FCC approval.