Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By chemamb
#62915 Hi everyone,

I am completely new to the ESP8266, appart from a couple of days trying to understand it. I have a PIC microcontroller that sends some data through the UART once in a while, and I need this data to be sent to a PC via WiFi. I managed to do it by using a particular serial to WLAN adapter, but it has become too expensive and I would like to try with the ESP8266. With the other one I was using a very simple software to program it with an static IP address, local port, ssid and password (TCP Server configuration mode), then I would connect it straight away to the RX and TX of the MCU and finnaly all I had to do from the PC is to connect to the IP address and local port of the module and I would start receiving data. The problem is that I don't know how to do this with the ESP8266. I know that it is possible to set it up to work as a server, but would that start listening to the port as soon as is powered up, accept the request from the PC and start communicating without the need of any AT commands, just taking the data from the MCU and sending it to the PC? Any suggestion to the best approach to achieve this?

I hope I explained myself properly and sorry for my poor knowledge about this, will get there hopefully

Many thanks in advance!