Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By Philbot
#65992 You had the right idea of trying another board.

I had a new unopenned Huzzah module and it clearly has different behavior. One thing that is different is that the Bootloader LED does not glow dimly during DeepSleep like my other module did.

So far the new module hasn't tripped up yet. On really close inspection the ESP module on the dodgey board has what looks like a miss-spelled label on the radio can. It says the FCC id is: "2ADUIE SP" rather than "2ADUI ESP". I wonder if Adafruit got taken, early on.

Anyway. my faith is getting restored with the new hardware... I hate it when fake hardware spoils software.

Phil.
By Philbot
#67272 So much for the "Replace the hardware" solution.

After about two weeks of operation, the new Huzzuh board is doing EXACTLY the same thing.

Is this a FLASH wearing out problem?

It's now 2017 and so this problem has been around for 2+ years.

I can replicate the problem as stated... deepsleep runs normally on an Adafruit Huzzuh for a while (minutes, hours, days) and then for some reason, when it comes out of deep-sleep, it enters a mode that "looks" like it's in upload mode (because the LED is half on) but it neither accepts an upload, NOR will it run again just by pressing reset.

I initially thought this was a case of a bad board, because when I replaced the Huzzuh, it stopped failing, but several weeks later it's now doing it again.

It's almost as if the Deep-Sleep function is effected by the age or overall runtime of the ESP8266 module.
ie: the more times it's run, the more likely it is to fail next time. Perhaps a FLASH wearing out issue that makes deep-sleep wake up oddly.

Extremely frustrating, and the probably reason why no-one has released a reliable low power product based on the ESP8266

More info: Normally my code starts up as follows (if I set the monitor baud to 74880)

etc Jan 8 2013,rst Cause:2, boot mode:(3,6)

load 0x4010f000, len 1384, room 16
tail 8
chksum 0x2d
Csum 0x2d
v09f0C112
~ld

But once the failure occurs, each time I press reset, I only get:

This is NOT my code..... It's in the firmware.

I'm ready to cross the ESP8266 off my list of cool chips.
By torntrousers
#67281 All the ESP8266 restart problems I've had have turnout to be power supply related. Try using a decent power supply - something more than a budget phone charger - along with putting a 100uF capacitor across 3.3v and GND. Maybe a 100nF capacitor too, the Huzzuh doesn't have so many bypass capacitors.