Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By cesar182
#66270 Regards ... my question is this: does anyone know the useful life of esp8266-12 working 24 hours a day and 7 days a week, with unlimited power? I appreciate any help
By QuickFix
#66312 Like with all hardware (I don't have a direct answer to your question, since there's no data about life expectancy of the ESP yet), you can extend its life by keeping it cool (using a heatsink, for instance); the ESP can get pretty warm (~40 degrees C) at times.
By rudy
QuickFix wrote:the ESP can get pretty warm (~40 degrees C) at times.

40 degrees isn't bad. I understand that is probably the metal case temperature (ESP-12) rather than the chip itself. The Espressif site lists the temperature range: -40°C to +125°C.

I agree that the cooler you keep electronics the longer it's life expectancy. But for CPUs and control logic I have little concern of failure due to self temperature rise. Now if you have other heat sources that raise the ambient temperature significantly then you might have issues, but I expect failures would be in the heat generating components rather than the ESP8266. At least that has been my experience.

With an average current consumption of 75mA and a 3.3V supply the power is only 1/4 Watt.