Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By jarnoldbrown
#69561 As I understand it, when in AP and STA mode the same channel is used for both. So the AP is operating on the same channel as the WiFi router(or whatever the STA is connecting to). Could this affect the range in some way? I personally find it hard to believe your 2x, x idea, as there is surely only one transmitter and one receiver in the chip(or so I would have thought), so the STA and AP mode must be a time domain multiplex thing.
By martin_g
#69567 In AP_STA (and SOFTAP) mode the ESP uses 802.11b/g only, while in STA mode it uses by default b/g/n. This might explain differences.

Also, as far as I heard from other users, the transmission power is 3 dB higher when using b-only. You might try to set PHY mode to b-only - might result in low data rates but higher range (wifi_set_phy_mode(1))...
By diffstorm
#69568 The 2x, x idea is according to my measurements on non-ideal environment. So it would be great if anybody explain this with real knowledge. AP and STA run on the same antenna, yes, but how does it affect to range? That's the question.