Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By Jeff Stuart
#69531 I've used the ESP-12 in four projects because it's so easy to integrate. So far I've been hand soldering the modules, but for many reasons it would be advantageous to solder the modules in the reflow oven.

I've read the specs (I think they were from AI Thinker) and my profile is well within their limits.

While I haven't had any problems with badly soldered modules, I can't help but notice complaints about bridged pins etc., and I wonder if I'm tempting fate re-reflowing a marginal product.

So, anyone here baking their ESP-12 modules? Anyone have failure rates based on significant samples? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff
By Jeff Stuart
#70165 So no one is baking these things?

I tested & programmed an ESP-12S using a jig/fixture, then ran it thru four cycles of my oven's no-lead profile. Counting its birth at AI Thinker that's five cycles. Far as I can tell it's working fine -- boots, radio works, runs AP & Sta, flashes OTA, GPIO's work. I don't know about the ADC, whether that's affected by high temps.

Whenever I run the over I'll throw it in and we'll see how many cycles it takes to kill the thing. Poor little thing....

I have another 12S programmed & ready to go into a new PCB. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
By rudy
I can't help but notice complaints about bridged pins etc.

I don't see anything that would be a concern. Where have you seen complaints?
By Jeff Stuart
#70324 I saw two posts mentioning bad solder joints on ESP modules with the "can". One post was on this forum if I remember right, but I can't locate it right now.

I agree it's unlikely Ai Thinker has a systematic problem with the QC of their modules. I was thinking, if anyone is going to notice it, it would be someone cooking the modules in an oven, both because of the added stress and higher number of samples.

Speaking of which, I oven-soldered a 12S to a new PCB. Lo and behold, there's a near-short on the 3.3V rail. I know the PCB was good (ohm'd it) and I know the 12S was good (pre-programmed & tested it.) All the solder joints I can see are fine, no bridging, no balls, no splatter. I'll investigate further when I have time.