Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By Fabio B
#71996 Hello everyone,
i've already worked a lot with the ESP8266-01, more or less without any problem.
So i've decided to buy some ESP8266-12F to upgrade my projects.
WORST CHOICE EVER.

I've tried a lot of different wiring on the breadboard in order to flash it, but without any result.

As programmer i use the FTDI232

Basically i use to flash the boards the NodeMCU Flasher software, with no results at the moment with this board.

The wiring is this one:

VCC -> +3.3V (from the programmer)
GND -> GND (from the programmer)
TXD0 -> RX
RXD0 -> TX
EN -> VCC
GPIO15 -> GND
GPIO0-> GND

Can anyone help me?
By trackerj
#72027 ESP8266 12F modules are a very good and stable "12" version, never had any problems with.

Your connection is not exactly what do you need for proper programming the ESP8266 module and also you need a proper 3.3Vcc power supply, the 3.3Vcc provided by the FT232 is not powerful enough.

For a basic configuration with Reset and Programming buttons, take a look at the nEXT Evo board schematics

If you want a more advanced configuration, with Auto-reset capabilities, with or without isolated interface to protect your computer USB ports, etc, look also at the USBProg schematic
By btidey
#72033 I agree the ESP12-F is a good choice for esp8266 module. I have over 20 of these installed now with no problems.

As mentioned your problems with flashing are the power and the hook up.

You can't use the on-board 3.3V supply from the serial interface reliably as it does not supply enough current. Either use a separate 3.3V supply or do what I do which is to cut the trace to the 3.3V output pin on the serial interface and put on board a LDO 3.3V regulator to supply that pin.

The GPIO00 pin should only be held low during a reset to put it into serial programming mode. Otherwise it should be high. This can be done as suggested either by using push buttons or with an automatic circuit.
By Fabio B
#72041 Many thanks @btidey and @trackerj i will for shure take a look at those projects.
I will try with more power adding an external power supply for the 3.3V.
Do you confirm that the other wiring are correct?
So the new wiring shoud be:

VCC -> +3.3V (external power supply)
GND -> GND (external power supply)
TXD0 -> RX
RXD0 -> TX
EN -> VCC
GPIO15 -> GND
GPIO0-> GND[*]