Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By vickeyhort
#72050 Hi,
I am using my own firmware ESPMetRED (ESP8266, MQTT, Nodered Setup) which is based on Arduino IDE and I am using it since three years and it is working flawlessly on many of my ESP8266 devices including Nodemcu, Wemos D1 mini Itead Slampher.

Recently, I have installed it on Sonoff S20 and facing strange behaviour. When I connect the Sonoff S20 with my PC using serial adapter (S20 gets power from serial), it communicate with Nodered and works without any problem.

But When I plug Sonoff S20 on to AC Power 220V, It connects to WiFi as I can see it in my router connections but it does not connects to my MQTT broker (Mosquitto). Here is the log of MQTT broker;

Code: Select all1511547101: Socket error on client ESPMetRED, disconnecting.
1511548502: New connection from 192.168.50.228 on port 1883.
1511548502: New client connected from 192.168.50.228 as ESPMetRED (c1, k15, u'pi').
1511548533: Client ESPMetRED has exceeded timeout, disconnecting.

Message shown above repeats in Mosquitto log. When I remove it from AC Power and connect to my PC, everything starts working again as expected.

I have even tried erasing flash memory
Code: Select allesptool.py --port COM3 erase_flash

But no success. May someone help me to sort down the issue? Moreover, I am using PubSubClient MQTT library.
By vickeyhort
#72053 Gone through a lot of debugging and finally luckily figured it out. Actually it was an evil silver colored sticker present on lower side of Sonoff S20 which was creating issues to WiFi signals.

Any one who has connectivity problem with Sonoff S20 with stock or custom firmware installed, just remove this sticker and magically, WiFi range will increase.