Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By gknight4
#72536 Greetings,

Is there a module that is specifically designed to take advantage of deep sleep mode?

The ESP-01 module requires soldering to one of the surface mount pins.
The NodeMCU and the WeMos D1 Mini have other stuff on the board that requires *way* more power than the deep sleeping ESP8266.

So, what module is easy to find, makes it easy to enable deep sleep, and doesn't use a bunch of power for other stuff?

Thanks!
Gene Knight
By gdsports
#72596 If you are looking for an ESP12 board (not just the ESP12 module), I use the Adafruit Huzzah ESP8266 (not the feather version) board for battery applications. No USB serial chip or battery charger. Schematics available. Deepsleep current for the board is about 130 uA which is not great but OK for my needs.

If you need ultra low power (nA), take a look at TPL5111/TPL5110 timer chips from TI. These are used to cycle power so do not depend on the deep sleep performance of the board.

For wall power applications, I use NodeMCU and Wemos boards.
By Paolo Cinaglia
gdsports wrote:If you are looking for an ESP12 board (not just the ESP12 module), I use the Adafruit Huzzah ESP8266 (not the feather version) board for battery applications. No USB serial chip or battery charger. Schematics available. Deepsleep current for the board is about 130 uA which is not great but OK for my needs.

If you need ultra low power (nA), take a look at TPL5111/TPL5110 timer chips from TI. These are used to cycle power so do not depend on the deep sleep performance of the board.

For wall power applications, I use NodeMCU and Wemos boards.

This is the configuration that i'm trying to use now. I've bought the TPL5110 but i've some problem with the use of the tpl... I'm using the pin #4 and #5 to read data from my sensors and i can't use the same pin to turn off and on the tpl... any ints about it? Something like change the pin for SDA/SCL or other? Thanks alot