Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By cnlohr
#1193 I am trying to make a WS2812 driver for the ESP8266 and I'm having unusual rebooting issues. If I try to disable interrupts for too long with os_intr_lock();/os_intr_unlock(); it simply goes off into la la land and reboots. No idea why, though. Also, it's not always the same timing. Sometimes I can send to 40 WS2812's for a while, other times to 100 for a little bit before a crash. It seems to have to do with if some other interrupts come in. Any ideas?

P.S.
https://github.com/cnlohr/ws2812esp8266
By jonsmirl
#1194 There may be a watchdog timer in the system. It the watchdog interrupt doesn't get acked after XXX seconds the system reboots. It is a safety precaution against the system getting locked up. Quite common on embedded chips.

Added -- the way the interrupt doesn't get acked is if your code goes off into the weeds and gets locked up somehow.
Last edited by jonsmirl on Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
By cnlohr
#1214 That is very possible. Since longer waits only increase the probability of a crash, there is no hard cut off... It would seem to me that's a reasonable possibility. I am starting to think this processor may still be best if paired up with an AVR as a dedicated IO processor. Probably still too early to know for sure. People are likely to find a lot of hacks to get around limitations.