Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By rocketgeek
#15629 Well, it sounds like I might have bought some incompatible flash. :( I have some Winbond 32 MBit chips on their way that should be here Monday, and I will test those.
By donnaware
rocketgeek wrote:All,

I'm looking into larger flash chips for the Arachnio (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lo ... o/arachnio), and I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out which ones to use. 8 Mbit Winbond chips work just fine for me, but I'd like to go to a 32 MBit flash. For a test, I ordered some Spansion chips (S25FL132K0XMFI041, which is what Digikey had in stock in that size and form factor).

I flashed the chip with the 0.9.5 AT firmware using esptool. This appeared to work fine, but when I boot the chipI get the following:

Code: Select all ets Jan  8 2013,rst cause:2, boot mode:(3,3)

load 0x40100000, len 612, room 16
tail 4
chksum 0xfd
load 0x88380000, len 565951362, room 4
flash read err, ets_unpack_flash_code
ets_main.c

Any thoughts on what might be wrong here?

I made my own board too and I used a similar cheapo flash, I used IS25LQ016, and it does not work in QIO mode, but it works fine in DIO mode so if your flasher program supports DIO, just switch to that. the nice by product is that it frees up two more GPIO pins :D but of course it will be a bit slower if you need to read and write to flash a lot maybe that matters. But you do not need to use that Winbond chip. There is an extended status read (0x35) that is the command that trips you up. The chip I got supports all the same SPI commands as the Winbond except that one.

Hope that helps.