Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By torntrousers
#16187 I'm not sure if this is exactly what you mean - do you mean using a NodeMCU board to program another ESP8266? I thought that was a really interesting idea so gave it a try - and the answer is yes! Connect a NodeMCU to ESP-201: gnd-gnd, 3.3v-3.3v, tx-tx, rx-rx, gpio0-gpio0, and on the NodeMCU connect EN-GND to disable its esp8266. Hold down the flash button on the NodeMCU and plug in the usb, and do an upload - and the ESP-201 gets programmed. Cool!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by torntrousers on Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By planlos
torntrousers wrote:Connect a NodeMCU to ESP-201: gnd-gnd, 3.3v-3.3v, tx-tx, rx-rx, gpio0-gpio0, and on the NodeMCU connect EN-GND to disable its esp8266. Hold down the flash button on the NodeMCU and plug in the usb, and do an upload - and the ESP-201 gets programmed.

This is awesome! Thank you a lot for providing this solution!
I can confirm it is working with ESP01 - simply using wiring explained above and additionally connect CH_PD to 3.3v.
Seems to be very reliable with the CP2102 on my NodeMCU-Board (had a lot of trouble with my cheap FT232RL from China these days...).
By powerbar1
#43333 Hello everybody,

I tried the same: Using the NodeMCU Devkit 1.0 to flash an additional/extra ESP12.

However, the Nodemcu firmware programmer does not find the ESP8266 of the additional ESP12.

My connections:

Additional ESP12 - NODEMCU
VCC – 3.3
EN – 3.3
GND – GND
GPIO15 – GND
GPIO2 – 3.3
GPIO0 – GND
RXD0 – RX
TXD0 – TX
N./A. – EN – GND (EN of NodeMCU on GND to disable internal ESP)

Where is my error? I measured all the soldering/breadboard connection and they seem fine -_-

Thanks for the support!
powerbar