Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By Polygram
#17742 List of commands can be found on this website. Just look to the right side of the page and click on a command. It comes with a short example too! Warning: Some commands may not work if you do not have the right firmware. I recommend the AI thinker Firmware!

https://github.com/espressif/esp8266_at/wiki/CWMODE (AT commands link)

http://www.electrodragon.com/w/ESP8266_Firmware (Firmware Link)
By richms
#18251 Rather than trying to get the ESP to do the flashing, has anyone just used one of those clip on SOIC8 eeprom clips and directly written to the eeprom?

I bought about 20 of the ESP-05 module thinking that the small 5 pin connector would be great to embed in things without hassle before knowing about the need to deal with the double row of the other one.

Yeah. Great idea there.

Anyway, I am getting one of the cheap USB eeprom programmers with the clip on it to try it with, but I have no idea what the supplied software will support as far as flashing different things to different offsets but whats the worst I can do? Kill some $3 modules that have basically useless firmware in them anyway...
By lethe
richms wrote:Anyway, I am getting one of the cheap USB eeprom programmers with the clip on it to try it with, but I have no idea what the supplied software will support as far as flashing different things to different offsets but whats the worst I can do? Kill some $3 modules that have basically useless firmware in them anyway...

Worth a try, but might not work, since the flash & esp share the power pins. If you apply power to the flash, you will inevitably also power the esp, which will try to access the flash and mess with your programmer's communication. It might if you keep the esp in reset during flashing, provided the esp does not pull any of the flash data lines to low during reset.
By BlitzSSS
#28849 Hi all, newbie here , first post - please be kind :)

I have an ESP-05 that came with SDK 0.9.5 AT 0.21 and tried AT+CIUPDATE. It all went according to plan;

+CIPUPDATE:1
+CIPUPDATE:2
+CIPUPDATE:3
+CIPUPDATE:4

OK

And the module reset, however the firmware hasn't actually updated and appears to be at the same version.

I had previously updated an ESP-01E which went from SDK 1.1.1 AT 0.25 to SDK 1.2.0 AT 0.30 (curiously not the latest version still?) so can anyone tell me if something not quite right with the ESP-05 or is SDK 0.9.5 AT 0.21 it for this module?

Thanks

EDIT: Having exactly the same thing happening with an ESP-201 too. Am I misunderstanding something about the Espressif cloud update here?

[b]EDIT2: Believe i've found my issues in the SDK v1.0.0 documentation; "Previous version of AT,can not upgrade from Espressif Cloud any more,please use this latest AT"[/b]