Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By flagtrax
#8357 Hey all, I just got one of these and I have the same situation (basically). My board has 5 pins. 3.3v, GRD, TX, RX, and RESET. The firmware version shows to be 0018000902-AI03. The first thing I'm wondering is if these versions are standard for all vendors. Secondly is this the latest version? I've read where baud rates can be changed via AT commands, but with the knowledge I have so far I've seen no acceptence of an AT command associated with baud. It simply returns "error". Which brings up the next question. Is there a list of "standard" AT commands anywhere out there. I've seen some various sites (including electrodragon) that list some; is that all? Could be a mute point if I can't update the firmware.....
By flagtrax
#8383 UPDATE;

OK I have found that AT+CIOBAUD? will return the baud rate. I am assuming that using a command form rather that query would change it. I am hesitant to do that at this time, until I gain a bit more experience. This module has no GPIO pins so unless there is a way to get to the trace for GPIO0 updating the firmware is not in the mix at this time. Further exploration seems to show that indeed there are as many variations of AT commands as there are manufacturers of these modules. None seem to be very good at documenting them either. When mine resets it spits out a few random characters (not sure if it's an ascii representation of Chinese characters or what) then "[Vendor:www.ai-thinker.com Version:0.9.2.4] An AT+GMR sent returns 0018000902-AI03 which I assume is the firmware version. I hope noting my experience will help others through their issues.
By Gutty
#13628 I updated it with sussess!

Cutting with a sharpen cutter edge the pcb line with a 10x lens to see what I do.

Then started update program. Then with a resistence and needle the GPIO00 to ground, then reset a moment to ground. The update process started and I could release the needle on GPIO 00, the uptade finished with success. So it is not necesary to solder the pin or to hold the needle all the time.
By Puds13
#17400 Absolute Newbie to forums.
Dear Flagtrax
read your post an was wondering how you managed to update the firmware. Ive been trying to do the same but i seem to be shorting the board when i try to connect the GPIO to GND. Im being very careful using a microscope and needle .Just wondered if you can add any more information.
Thanks in advance