Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By Atlantis
#17434 I decided to try something new. :)
Few days ago I ordered few ESP8266 chips and now I am waiting for delivery. Meanwhile I will try to design my own PCB. By saying "chips" I mean integrated circuits alone, not already assembled modules. I have some experience with etching and soldering small elements, like W5100 Ethernet module or 0402 resistors/capacitors. I have all necessary tools, like hot air soldering station. Did anyone ever tried something similar?
I have few questions:
1) What types of external EEPROM memory are compatible with ESP8266? Is it something specific, something I need to order from China, or just a common element, easily accessible in any electronic "corner shop"?
2) Should I use mini, SMD crystal, or standard THT element will be just fine?
3) What are the requirements for antenna circuit design? Will it be just fine, if I place SMB connector somewhere nearby of a chip, and then "flood" everything with a ground plane? What "isolate" parameter should I use for GND plane?
By Daviid
#38052 I try to do the same thing with personnal design inspired of Olimex module. UART flash work with module but doesn't work with my PCB. I don't understand.

Does your circuit work?