Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By Stoney
martinayotte wrote:
tytower wrote:I found also wrapping it in alloy foil for a day brought back one of my chips I thought was done.

Is that Grand Mother recipe ? :D

Grandmother had no foil !
it was the war you know.
RIP granny, 'Dot', tough old girl. found her on the roof cleaning the gutters at 93, she climbed up the gate.

I think this chip is done .. period.
I will get a flash chip to play with though.
curious to see if it is 1 or 4Mbit being an electrodragon esp12e.
By tytower
#23123 Modern day chips have lots of resistors :lol: , capacitors transistors diodes etc and probably a kitchen sink or two .
Wrapping the pins in foil shorts all the pins so any stray capacitance can get out . You don't want to throw any complex modern chip out without doing a wrap on it to be sure. :lol: :lol:
By Stoney
#24815 More news !
My bad, this was connected to a device designed by me but built by a client.
I have only just found they used a 7806 instead of a 7805 powering the micro. Hard to tell since it is in metal shroud with devices rivetted to the sides, I had never visually inspected the insides.
Not even a well behaved 7806 either, the data lines from the PIC would have been around 6.5V which exceeds the rating suggested by the data sheet.

If a mod could tone down the thread name or delete it entirely, I would be entirely happy..
By tytower
#24846 The last line I noticed . You do realise if you click on the first icon top right of each post an edit button comes down so you can change what u want 2.

If you do so on the first post you can change any heading too-just in case u didn't know

So was the chip bricked or working with that fix .