Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By kaboekieman
#30056 Hi there,

I'm curious, is it possible to hook a GPS module (Rx line) to the NodeMCU v2 (1.0), or any other ESP8266 WiFi enabled board? I want to build a remotely operated car with a live GPS feed. I know Arduino has models for this, but if I can operate the car (which is possible with an added motor shield) and get the live feed from an GPS module from one device (especially the NodeMCU v2) it would be a huge plus for me.

I have searched on Internet for this but I haven't found an answer ;)

Any tips or links to accomplish this would also be appriciated :)

thanks in advance, Jeroen
By picstart
#41285 It often is a bit more complicated than just having a compatible electrical interface ( rs232 TTL at 3.3v). A gps is an asynchronous device. It often squawks sentences every second.
The esp8266 has much to do that is synchronous.
Now the asychronous to synchronous can be achieved via an Arduino setup() loop() strategy providing the loop is called often enough to read the GPS sentences and parse them. Many other MCU's would use char by char interrupts on the GPS serial receive and collect the chars into a circular buffer for later parsing.