Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By gsaidah
#31951 Good afternoon,
I was using an ESP-12e with NodeMCU flasher and ESPlorer to program it. Everything went great until I had an error in my code that makes it reboot every few seconds without giving me the chance to upload any new code with corrections.
I cannot send any software commands except for the reboot button on the ESPlorer V 0.20-rc2.
I tried to flash it several times without any success.
I finally loaded the Arduino IDE software and uploaded some sketches to the board successfully and everything works great.

If I re-flash it with the NodeMCU, it is successful, but when I open the comm port, I can see that my old code is still here and rebooting.

How do you get ready of any code loaded on the ESP-12e?
How do you erase everything to be able to restart from scratch?

Thank you for any help,
George
By xtal
#31969 I havn't had that problem , Ive had good success when goofy stuff happens while testing by Flashing FW with an entirely different FW usually AT then reflashing nodeMCU.. I'm using Float-Dev-0.9.6 20150704.
I've been unable to get a working nodeMCU FW sdk 1.4.0
By kolban
#31998 I believe the tool called esptool (https://github.com/themadinventor/esptool) has an "erase_flash" command option. When executed, it erases all the content of your devices flash memory ... this effectively clears out anything and everything contained within. After running this, if you flash with any new firmware, there should be no legacy data left in flash memory to contaminate a new start.