Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By Eyal
#33596 @tkdcal, I agree with @trackerj, if you plan for a continuously active esp, with WiFi, then you will need plenty power. Expect an average usage of at least 80mA, so even a 2400mAh battery (LiPo or 3xAA) will last you about a day.

However, most (but not all) applications can deep sleep for most of the time, for a set period or waiting for an event, and then power usage can be drastically lower. In the latter case a small solar cell should be enough to keep it going forever.

Still, I am not familiar with the performance of the esp-13 but expect it to be similar to an esp-12.
By tkdcal
Eyal wrote:@tkdcal, I agree with @trackerj, if you plan for a continuously active esp, with WiFi, then you will need plenty power. Expect an average usage of at least 80mA, so even a 2400mAh battery (LiPo or 3xAA) will last you about a day.

However, most (but not all) applications can deep sleep for most of the time, for a set period or waiting for an event, and then power usage can be drastically lower. In the latter case a small solar cell should be enough to keep it going forever.

Still, I am not familiar with the performance of the esp-13 but expect it to be similar to an esp-12.

What I'm thinking of is a simple door open monitor. I imagine it would only have to wake up 4 or 5 times a day, if that, in my house. But I get the point about a continuously operating system. I have some ideas for those kinds of applications, but I don't think I'd use battery power.