Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By marcwitteveen
#34955 Hello,

Is it possible to put the ESP8266 to a (deep) sleep until an external source triggers it to wake it up?
With an external source I could think of a motion sensor triggering it or a magnetic sensor telling that a door or window was opened.

The "sensor" or trigger signal would be connected to one of the GPIO ports.

One option I could think if, which is in my opinion a dirty one, is to switch of the complete ESP8266 from power and give it juice again when a signal triggers it to turn it on again, lets say a motion sensor. The motion sensor signal could keep an GPIO value high until a certain action is executed, e.g. sending a notification to a server. Then the ESP8266 stays on for a bit, checking if the motion sensor will be triggered again. If no additional trigger is send from the motion sensor the ESP8266 goes to a deep sleep or is turned off again.

The idea is to use the ESP8266 with a battery source but making the device last a bit longer than lets say a week.

Looking forwards for your thought, suggestions and ideas.

Thanks,

Marc