Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By Jonathan Herr
#35474 I, a few months ago, bought myself an ESP-07 model ESP-8266, and it didn't really come with much documentation as to what voltages could be accepted by the device or what the tolerances of the inputs were.

Doing a little bit of investigating of the carrier board reveals there is only one 'IC' on the carrier... something SEEMINGLY labeled .. 1117? I don't /exactly/ remember offhand, since it was a /bit/ ago that i looked at it, but it WAS seemingly some sort of 3 lead voltage regulator. This is my first ESP-model board, and i'm a bit leery about hooking up voltages willy-nilly and i don't want to fry it, so any help in figuring out what this chip might do and what voltages i could send to the Voltage IN pin on the breadboard pins would be most helpful.
By Adjie
#35555 I couldn't help with that '1117' chip. ESP8266 modules are working on 3.3v. Some other modules are able to be supplied with 5v (I've once done this before, and it seemed work just fine).

But just make sure that the 3.3v source is able to supply the needed current (around 200mA I believe), CR3202 Cell Battery definitely won't work.

Hope this helps you.
By fdufnews
#35559 A picture of the carrier board will help.
Most of the ESP modules delivered with a carrier board hold a voltage regulator to give 3,3V to the ESP from a 5V source. BUT you shall carefully look on the board as on some of them there is a 0Ohms resistor that bypasses the voltage regulator.