Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By shoelessone
#35651 Hello all!

This may be a really simplistic question, but here goes: I've now worked with the ESP-12E a bit, and thanks to very very much help from this forum I've gotten, I think, a generally OK feel for what needs to be done to "make it work" in terms of pulling certain pins up/down vs leaving them "floating", etc.

I'm curious though, about the ESP-01. At the heart of it, it's still an ESP8266 (is it proper to say that? Is it the ESP8266 "platform"? What the hell is a esp8266?! ;)), but the exposed pins are obviously much different/fewer. Which leads me to wonder, are all of the "pins" that should be pulled up/down/etc in the ESP-12E somehow handled "internally"?

Also, in general, is one form factor (ESP-12E vs ESP-12 vs ESP-01 vs ESP-07) considered to be more "robust" - basically less prone to errors of whatever variety?

edit: to add to this, part of the reason I'm asking is that I'm thinking about making a simple, single button "IFTTT" machine. Now that i've worked with the ESP-12E quite a bit and have a good idea of parts/etc in Eagle for PCB design, etc, I'm tempted to use that. On the other hang, it seems like the ESP-01 is really simple and requires many fewer pull ups/pull downs. But because I don't "see" everything, it also seems like it might be less robust, more like a toy then the ESP-12E. Again, this is just a feeling, obviously not based in fact, hence this post :)
By martinayotte
#35653 Yes, all ESP modules are using the same chip, the ESP8266. In a near future, that can change with the arrival of ESP32 chip.
For pins, if you means for example GPIO15 which need to be pulled-down, on ESP-03/ESP-07/ESP-12(e), since it is breakout on PCB pins, it is up to the user to pull it down. On ESP-01, it is already attached to GND on the PCB itself since there is no pin for it.