Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By ritesh
bjpirt wrote:Almost - you'll need to use something like a 1 ohm resistor to VDD and measure the voltage drop across it to work out the current consumption

Thanks for Reply.

I will try it by your suggestion and let you know the result.

Regards,
Ritesh Prajapati
By ritesh
#36039 Hi,

What are the typical power consumption ratings in following modes for ESP-WROOM-02 WIfi Modules?

1) Idle Mode
2) Modem Sleep Mode
3) Light Sleep Mode
4) Deep Sleep Mode
5) In STA +AP Mode
6) with TCP/UDP IP Transmission

Regards,
Ritesh Prajapati
By Eyal
#36043 Not so simple. The current varies a lot while the module is active. Use a DSO to see pattern, where you can then measure the total power used in a given time. Connect a low value resistor between the power source ground and your board's ground and measure the voltage across it. No need for an "accurate" resistor as long as you can measure it accurately then use Ohm's law I=V/R. to correlate DSO V to board I.

The lower the resistor the better, but the measured voltage will also reduce so you select what your DSO can show reliably.

This will not work for deep sleep: 20uA across 1R gives 20uV, too low for most DSOs. You can use something like uCurrent, not cheap but not a bad thing to have in your kit.
For now (esp deep sleep) you just use a DMM with a uA range (no resistor required), as many have these days.

For idle, at about 80mA (idle WiFi), a DSO with a 1R resistor is acceptable, as is the active WiFi with 300mA (or above) peaks.
By ritesh
Eyal wrote:Not so simple. The current varies a lot while the module is active. Use a DSO to see pattern, where you can then measure the total power used in a given time. Connect a low value resistor between the power source ground and your board's ground and measure the voltage across it. No need for an "accurate" resistor as long as you can measure it accurately then use Ohm's law I=V/R. to correlate DSO V to board I.

The lower the resistor the better, but the measured voltage will also reduce so you select what your DSO can show reliably.

This will not work for deep sleep: 20uA across 1R gives 20uV, too low for most DSOs. You can use something like uCurrent, not cheap but not a bad thing to have in your kit.
For now (esp deep sleep) you just use a DMM with a uA range (no resistor required), as many have these days.

For idle, at about 80mA (idle WiFi), a DSO with a 1R resistor is acceptable, as is the active WiFi with 300mA (or above) peaks.

Hi,

Thanks for Information.

I have measured current consumption using DMM and got below ratings in different modes.

1) Firmware Flash Mode :: 50 - 55 mAmp

2) Firmware Update using Flash Download Tool :: 50 - 55 mAmp

3) Board boot mode :: 80 - 120 mAmp

4) Board Idle State :: 60 - 70 mAmp

5) STA+AP Mode :: 60 - 70 mAmp

6) TCP/IP Server/Client Mode :: 60 - 65 mAmp

So, My ESP-WROOM-02 Wifi Module consumes 60 - 70 mAmp power while operating in any mode.

I have also executed AT+SLEEP command to enter into light sleep mode as default is modem sleep mode but not getting any effect in current power mode rating.

Please let me know if you have any idea for that.

Regards,
Ritesh Prajapati