Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By A Hettlinger
#36252 I recently purchased a Node MCU 1.0 board and have been playing with it the last couple of days. I have it up and running and everything seems fine, but I cannot get it to work on any power source other than a USB cable connected to a PC. I have tried supplying 5V to the VIN pin both with and without also supplying 3.3V to one of the respective pins, and I have also used a USB cord plugged into a power adapter to supply 5V through the USB port without being connected to a PC. The only behavior I get with all of those methods is that the blue LED by the WiFi antenna flashes briefly and D0 and D4 go high (I have LEDs on D0-D7). The board will only execute its stored program if powered by a USB cable connected to a PC. This is crazy. I have to be overlooking something simple... I hope.
By A Hettlinger
#36320 Well, I really hope no one would make this very rookie mistake. I was very hasty in wanting to get my project running that I did not pay close attention to the output specs of the power supply I was using. It's been a few years since I have played around with my electronics prototyping stuff that I've forgotten what all I have. I saw 12V written on the power supply (a "wall wart" style transformer) and thought that would be great since my voltage regulators are rated for up to 35V. What I failed to realize until after a couple days of being utterly perplexed by the behavior I reported, was that the output was AC instead of DC. Needless to say, I felt like a total idiot. I'm lucky that I didn't fry any of my circuitry. Moral of the story: don't be in a hurry and make sure you read the specs of your parts carefully :)