Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By AJB2K3
#36557 Simple question.

Should the Bypass be an Polarised electrolytic or a non polarised poly cap?
By eldonb46
#36581 Bypass is always some what controversial, I use 470uF and a 0.1uF as close to the power pins as possible. In most of my setups,the 3.3 Volt is supplied from a a 5.0 Volt source, which also has at least a 470uF filter cap.

The Esp8266 requires extreme bursts of current (>300ma), which can be viewed with an oscilloscope measuring across a small resistor in series with the power supply. Anything that helps provides constant voltage to the Esp, will help prevent voltage Reset problems. Since I adopted the above bypass strategy I have not seen any random Resets (OK, maybe a few), software glitches (lack of leap) is still another problem.

See my project at: http://goo.gl/GxLGhj or http://goo.gl/dA8yD1

Regards,
Eldon - WA0UWH
By Timpanogos Slim
#36595 To service bursty power needs, you need capacitance that probably isn't going to be small if it is going to be a film or ceramic cap. My smallest 1uf film caps have been about 8mm on a side, and 1uf isn't much for power surges.

To filter out noise on the power feed, you are generally looking at 0.1uf or smaller, which can be an extremely tiny ceramic cap. Just throwing an 0.1uf on there isn't a bad idea, but you'd need to get an oscilloscope hooked up to determine exactly what noise you have so that you can select the correct capacitor to absorb it. It's about resonance.

If you go too big on the power reserve cap, it can just be, uh, big. And the inrush current can be hard on your power supply.

ripple current rating and ESR (equivalent series resistance) are good things to look at.

There are some pretty impressive polymer electrolytics these days. heck, there are some pretty impressive regular electrolytics these days.

I Can't tell you exactly what value cap you need for your project. It might be as little as 10uf or it might be 470uf or higher. I have a 520uf OS-Con on my breadboard at the moment that is doing a great job, but it's only there because i had it. Pulled it off of a dead laptop motherboard years ago. Vanishingly small ESR.
By AJB2K3
#36597 I have loads of 100nf caps I brought for my arduinos are these ok?
I know my 5v 1f (yes 1 farad) is way to big.