Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By Stu
#36650 Sorry guys, this is actually two questions in one.

Okay. So, I've got my ESP8266 up and running, acting on button presses on GPIO port D1. I had added a pull-up and filter to cancel out noise because of the long wire, and all is well in my little world! :D

Now. I'm planning ahead a bit and want to start hooking up some diagnostics LED's and additional sensors. To keep it in a small package I'll move to a smaller ESP8266 and therefore want to conserve the number of GPIO ports that I use.

I like to have an LED that flashes whenever the button is pressed (debugging purposes, etc). Now instead of sacrificing a GPIO port, I'd thought, perhaps I can hook it up to the GPIO port that has the button press on it. As seen in the attached diagram (which I quickly did in Excel - not perfect). Not being particulary experienced yet in electronics, I'd like to hear what you guys think of this setup.

Secondly. I'll eventually deploy a number of these ESP's around the house and would like to keep the hardware as generic as possible (run various different versions of software). Could the schematic that I use for the button press also be used as an output to drive a relay or small load? Or does the filter and pull-up get in the way? Ideally this would also drive the diagnostic LED for debugging purposes just as it does on input.

I hope the attached picture explains what I try to say.. Thanks for feedback.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.