Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By martinayotte
#38728 BTW, guys, I've received my first WeMos D1 Mini today. Looks very good for the price, $4 on AliExpress, USB-Serial with CH340. VReg from 5V USB, although I don't see big capacitors on PCB, ESP seems to be stable ! It provide RES switch, but there is no BOOT switch, so I presume I will have to place a wire on GPIO0 for my next upload ...
By Oldsirhippy
#38754 Just got mine going too.
Didn't do anything regarding boot switch and GPIO0.
I did forget to download the CH340 driver! Installed it and the board worked fine.

The 'Hello World' world example streamed to the serial monitor.

Compile time takes a while - so development will take me longer than with the UNO.

Looking forward to connecting to wifi :D
By lutschc7
#39854 Hello guys,

I also just received a WeMos D1 Mini board yesterday. My first impressions were positive. It looks pretty good for how cheap it is. It has all the features I was looking for in an ESP8266 board and took a while to come across. I'm using Arduino IDE to program. Started some tutorials: Hello world, blink the onboard LED (btw the pinouts are different, here's a link that helps http://www.wemos.cc/wiki/doku.php?id=en:d1_mini), and got some WiFi stuff going really fast and easily!

The first WiFi tutorial I used was the Sparkfun Thing tutorial, where I set up the WeMos as an access point, to which I connected with my iphone and sent/received data. The signal worked all throughout the house and the speed was nearly instantaneous. Next, I did the Adafruit tutorial and accessed the web with the WeMos. After that, I tried out Over the Air (OTA) downloads using the ESP8266 example OTABasic from Github. It worked like a charm. I then disconnected the WeMos from the computer and used a USB battery and it worked great.

Today, I wanted to try out some hardware with the WeMos. First, I soldered some header pins to the board and stuck it on a breadboard. Then I hooked up a servo (MG 996R High Torque) using an external power source. The WeMos outputs a 3.3V signal, but the servo datasheet says it take a 4.8V to 7.2V signal. So I was curious if it would work. I ran the example Sweep and... it worked... kind of. The servo rotated like it should, but was a little jumpy and wasn't when I used a 5V Arduino running the same sketch. So I might need to use a level shifter. The next thing I did was test running the Servo's power off of the WeMos's 5V pwr pin. With the same sketch stored, I hooked the WeMos to a 2A USB battery and then plugged the servo into the WeMos.

Immediately, the WeMos started smoking!!!!!!

Unfortunately, that was too much current draw. The servo datasheet says it runs 500-900mA at 6V and up to 2.5A stalled. I was really hoping it would work. Can't seem to find any specs on the max output of the WeMos.

I think the next thing I will do is test using a level shifter and external power supply, and then measurethe current draw of the servo.
By gregware
#39890 That is strange, because the signal wire to the servo shouldn't draw much, and the +5V is not going through the regulator, it should be drawn from the USB directly. That would mean that some of the +5V is leaking back to signal?
That's an analog servo, right? i.e. the rotation angle is driven by a square signal on the control pin.
Greg