Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By lutschc7
#40666 The servo is controlled by standard pulses. The current to power the servo flows from the USB Micro B receptacle and has to make its way from the USB V+ pin to the 5V pin of the WeMos. It appeared to be this trace that started smoking. That would mean that the trace does not contain enough copper to handle around an amp of current. The design of any development board should handle at least what the USB receptacle can handle - usually 1.8A. I am currently designing a custom PCB and servo driver that will incorporate this into the design. It will also have a current limiting chip that can be switched on and off by the micro-controller in order to stay safe and reduce servo power consumption.
By mager
#40733 The USB port on the D1mini is fpr programming, not to provide high voltage to other stuff (I doubt that it declaes it's power demands according to USB standards either). And on a device I would not want to have the serial port that can reprogamm the device freely open to the user.
I cannot see anything wrong on the device. Just spend a long weekend with many boards and the D1mini is my favourite because of breadboard-friendliness, auto-reset/porgramming, good documentation and labeling.
Martin
By pieman
mager wrote:The USB port on the D1mini is fpr programming, not to provide high voltage to other stuff (I doubt that it declaes it's power demands according to USB standards either). And on a device I would not want to have the serial port that can reprogamm the device freely open to the user.
I cannot see anything wrong on the device. Just spend a long weekend with many boards and the D1mini is my favourite because of breadboard-friendliness, auto-reset/porgramming, good documentation and labeling.
Martin

The D1 mini is also my favourite and even though I can understand some people want them without the headers soldered on I would prefer them as a ready to use unit. Is it possible to supply 5V power to the mini via the 5V pin or is that just for output?