Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By ErikLem
#39668 After toying around with multiple ESP-01 modules for a while, programming them with the Arduinoi IDE, I thought it was time to move on to the ESP-12 (Since the ESP-01 does not have enough pins for my needs.)

I got a ESP-12-F off from aliexpress, and started hooking it up, to see if I could get some info out of it (with AT commands)
Unfortunately, I'm unable to get any response at all. I use a FTDI module and a LM1117T to hook it up (used them with the ESP-01 too).

Ik hooked it up this way:
vcc --> 3.3v
gnd --> gnd
EN --> vcc (The older models have a ch_pd, I'm guessing this is the same)
GPIO15 --> gnd
tx --> tx of ftdi
rx --> rx of ftdi

I left the rest of the pins floating.
When I power it on, I see the blue led flashing briefly, but no info on the serial monitor, except for one character like ü

I've tried a different power supply (a MB102) and powering it through the FTDI module, but to no avail.
I've also tried using putty to see if it would give me anything, but nothing came out.

Any idea where I'm going wrong?

Edit: One thing to note is that I do see a wifi network called AI-THINKER_0B5A71 as soon as I power the module on. So at least the module does not seem to be dead...
By xtal
#39678 ESP Tx ---> USB Rx
ESP Rx ----> USB Tx

U Should use a level shifter on the USB Tx[5v] to ESP[3.3v]Rx

If you have Firmware loading issues and your usb converter is not crystal controlled get a new usb converter ,, save yourself some head aches

for your pull ups =3.3 and pull downs gnd use a resistor 470-1000 ohm to protect pins in case of
user or software error......
By sej7278
#39688 you need to connect gpio-0 to gnd to go into flash mode. if its coming up with a wifi ap its booted instead

also tx->rx and rx->tx and you may have to connect gpio-2 to vcc also
By ErikLem
#39754 Right, I guess I must not be hooking up things after a hard work day :)

Switching the TX and RX wires, and making sure non of my messy soldering touched the metal cap solved the problem :)