Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By Squonk
#500 Attached is the ESP8266 datasheet reference design schematic drawn using EagleCAD, with the corresponding symbol and footprint library.

No layout yet, I am too busy (lazy?)!

Please let me know if you spot errors.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Squonk
obvy wrote:Eaglecad again? So why wonder vendors use proprietary crap if even maker people do the same? Please delete and upload KiCAD version ;-).

Already tried it 3 or 4 times in the past, and it is still unusable AFAICT: no back annotation and funky part/symbol organization are no-go for me :cry:
By obvy
#503 symbol/footprint organization is very sane - there're cases of same chip packed in different packages, making a symbol tied to a package is proprietary short-sightedness which is ok for a software which tries to put limits on users, but would be ridiculous for open-source software - even if it was done like that, someone would soon submit patch to untie unrelated entities to allow their free recombination and free ideas flow.

Cannot say much about back annotation - there's something in kicad for it, I didn't have to use it for typical hobby projects, it's not inconvenient to switch to schematics and add a resistor or connector there, and see it pop up in layout.

Anyway, it's all excuses, that just show which line of thought vendors use when stick to closed proprietary stuff - they're just too lazy and inert to try something else, even if there're good reasons too. And that's well mirrored by community, who wants be given open stuff, but doesn't really want to nudge to eat own dogfood and try and learn open stuff consistently. Hacking on such new cute module as ESP8266 is a nice chance to give it a try - to find open replacement for IDA, to work on hackable compiler, or at least start hacking on GCC whatever it is currently (not very hackable), try Kicad for schematics/layout, etc. YMMV.