Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By Capatl
#42211 If this isn't appropriate to this forum please feel free to point me in the right direction.

New to small dev board development, although I've been following arduino/Pi/ESP articles online for a while. I did do some VB programming back in the day. I have several projects and would like to try ESP but have two hardware questions to start:

First, there are a number of sources for buying the ESP boards. I found some cautionary posts about "non-standard" boards on places like Aliexpress, sounded like the pinouts from some manufacturers were not standard or something (I don't fully appreciate that yet, but I'm sure I will once I need to breadboard the pieces to try to put together a working project). How do I tell which boards are the desirable ones with standard-arrangement pinouts that will be broadly compatible with other hardware?

Second, my first project will be a driveway alarm (alert the house when someone comes up the driveway, like a remote automatic doorbell). I read that the new ESP32 will allow simultaneous WiFi and Bluetooth, and started thinking- maybe I could put a bluetooth transmitter in our own cars, and set it up so that our cars wouldn't trigger the alarm, only other cars (parcel delivery, friends and family, etc). Is waiting for the ESP32 necessary and desirable, or are there ways to achieve the same thing (signal "safe" cars) with the ESP8266 without messing up it's connection to the house to transmit the alarm?

Thank you!
By martinayotte
#42213 If I were you, I wouldn't bother too much about the "mislabelled GPIO4/GPIO5" issue on older ESP12, they still working properly. If you ever choose those those wrongly labelled ESPs from any eBay seller, simply taking care of that issue since you know about the issue.
About ESP32, I'm just anger about more news, it is a bit quiet on their forum since a month.
(Maybe they should have providing me one, I would then have wakeup their forum daily ! :lol: )
(BTW, no talks about BlueTooth there since the beginning)