Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By jonsmirl
#587 It is pointless to try and use I2S on a CPU this small. At least go with a RT5350 which has a nice 44.1/16 I2C interface. If you want more use a Allwinner A23 which can do 192/24.

The I2S is probably there is support a VOIP phone, but I suspect they discovered that this chip is too small to build VOIP on. RT5350 works just fine for VOIP. AsiaRF has boards available with a POTS (RJ11) interface on them.
By hackrid
jonsmirl wrote:It is pointless to try and use I2S on a CPU this small. At least go with a RT5350 which has a nice 44.1/16 I2C interface. If you want more use a Allwinner A23 which can do 192/24.

I'm rather surprised by this statement. I don't want to disagree with you, but we have a 80 MHz CPU which acutally should be enough at least for some applications. Little is known about e.g. DMA transfers to peripherals like SPI, I2C or I2S.

I can't imagine, assuming there IS an i2s interface, why the IC should not be capable eg. of streaming some audio data to an external dac.:)
I'm 100% with you when it comes to transcoding stuff, the cpu might fail to keep up with the data.

RT5350 has a 360 MHz MIPS core. I don't know much about I2S, but I really cant imagine it is that ressource consuming.
By jonsmirl
#656 The difference is 32MB RAM vs 64KB. I just don't think there is enough RAM available for the code you'd need plus the buffers. Where are you going to put the MP3 decoder? It should be possible to stream decoded samples at it at 44100Khz and play them. But why? You still need a another CPU around to talk to music sources and to make the sample stream. Just spend $2 more and put a RT5350 into the system. Your life will be much simpler. With RT5350 one chip can do it all.