Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By Bert
jonsmirl wrote:
johnyradio wrote:could not the 8266 connect to a webserver that is streaming audio-data, and then output that data (without any decoding) through the I2S interface in real time?

thx

You might be able to get this to work. But to synchronize these systems you are going to need a semi-accurate RTC to track clock drift and enable you to add/delete samples to stay in sync. Add/delete samples requires a resampler running on the ESP8266. Might fit but it needs significant CPU horsepower. For a cheap system you can just delete one or duplicate one randomly but that will be audible some of the time; especially if you need correct by multiple samples.

Meh, linear interpolation (or cubic interpolation, for what matters) at just this mere 88.2 ksamples/second must be perfectly doable. Even an Arduino can do it without problems! However, receiving data from WLAN at a constant rate of 176.4 kB/s will be hard to impossible for this chip — refer to the netio benchmarks somewhere else on this forum.
By Soundpirate
#14343 I'm really a beginner at this.
I'm just borrowing this thread to ask if this chip can be used,to connect an iPhone directly to a portable speaker.

Like with the the L.i.bratone Zip.p speaker., it shows up as an Wifi router, and after connected it shows up as a speaker device at the list at the bottom on the iPhone. Maybe that is Airplay implementation i guess.
By Make_Pic
jonsmirl wrote:...
The I2S is probably there is support a VOIP phone, but I suspect they discovered that this chip is too small to build VOIP on. RT5350 works just fine for VOIP. AsiaRF has boards available with a POTS (RJ11) interface on them.

Do you have a project VOIP? Where I can see this project & code, if possible?

Best regards. Anatoly